Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Kir-Yianni Akakies Dry Rosé

Kir-Yianni Akakies Dry Rosé 2012
www.kiryianni.gr
Naoussa, Greece

Greek wines can be intimidating. I don't know about you, but I see names like Robola and Moschofilero and I wander away in search of the French wine section. As I've slowly started to get to know Greek wines I've found that they are interesting, expressive, and worth exploration. This rosé of Xinomavro is a great place to start.

Review: This wine has a beautiful dark pink hue and a nose of ripe strawberries. On the palate this wine is dry, with perfectly bright acidity. It's hugely refreshing with tasty flavors of red fruits and flowers. This would be a great rosé for red wine drinkers -- I think they would be pleased with the intense fruit and smooth texture.

Xinomavro is a dark skinned grape that's widely planted in the northern region of Greece. The Kir-Yianni Akakies rosé is from the specific Amyndeon Appelation in Macedonia (Northwestern Greece). In fact, it is the only Greek Protected Designation of Origin for rosé wines.

This wine gets its rich color from two different processes. About 85% of the juice spends between 12 and 48 hours in contact with the grape skins. The remaining 15% of the juice is bled off (saignée method) from grapes being fermented to make red wine. The resulting blending is just beautiful.

Food Pairing: I paired it with Chinese food, but really anything would do!

Bottom Line: This is a rich and interesting rosé -- the perfect combination of dry and fruit forward. I dig it. Perhaps I would even go so far as to say that Kir-Yianni makes music even more beautifully than Yanni.

premiumgreekwines.com


































Wine Geekery:
  • VINTAGE: 2012
  • PLACE: Amyndeon PDO (Protected Designation of Origin)
  • GRAPE: Xinomavro
  • BOOZE: 13%
  • RESIDUAL SUGAR: 2.9 g/L
  • CELLAR: Drink Now
  • www.kiryianni.gr

Where did I get it? Crystal City Wine Shop
What's the damage? Mid Priced

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! Babble away...